Raising a Girl
When I checked the box marked girl on the adoption application, I was doing it with a certain amount of "known" expectations. Note: husband was on board with checking that box too. I had visions in my mind of helping toddler fingers change the clothes of her baby dolls and advancing into barbies as she got older. I imagined her cuddling and "mothering" her babies. I imagined lots of frilly dress-up outfits and too big dress up shoes clopping around the house. I imagined peopling dollhouses and listening to her play house with her dolls. I imagined pretend makeup and stories about princesses. I knew intellectually that girls play with everything. When Turtle turned 2, she got a kitchen for Christmas. Occasionally she "bakes" some cookies and hands them or she plays restaurant. Often the only items on the menu are things like spider pie and snake soup. Turtle, however, had other ideas about the things she would play with. My mom got her an Asian doll at ...
Comments
Post a Comment