Anatomy Talks 2 and Phraseology of a 4-Year Old

We have had a load of giggles and laughter coming from Turtle of late. It is the most musical thing I have ever heard. Sometimes she laughs so hard I can't understand a word she is trying to tell us, but it's obviously hilarious. And here is what makes me laugh, or at least smile:

"Mom, what is that red thing in my vagina called again?"
"A clitoris."
She gazes down south and says, "How come I can't see it?"
Me doing an excellent deadpan, "I'm sure it's down there somewhere."
The ensuing investigation resulted a fit of giggles and I'm sure you know why.

"When I'm a mommy can I play with my mommy nipples?"
"Yes."
"Whenever I want?"
"Yes. You can play with them now if you want." (Yes, I'm that mom.)
"Okay," and off she runs for her bedroom.

I want to encourage healthy exploration and no shame. I never want her to be ashamed of her body and I want her to be comfortable with it. The only way that can happen is with straightforward answers and knowing the appropriate place to do her exploring. In our house, that's her bedroom or bathroom, and she is free to explore in those rooms if she is alone or with me - never with friends or other relatives. At the tender age of 4, she is very free with herself, her questions, and her explorations. I hope she always is, but I know that as she gets older, societal taboos and mores will set in and she will become more and more embarrassed about the subject. I will endeavor to keep it open.

On another topic, (rather a non sequitur) she also says things that I wish would never change, but will inevitably correct themselves:

You have to peel your eyes, right Mom. (meaning, of course, to keep your eyes peeled or look closely)
Mom, I want to learn Italy. (Italian)
First, second, threeth
Mom, there is a ambliance (ambulance)
One, two, free (three)
Mazagine

She gets confused by things like "dive into your food." I'm raising Amelia Bedelia. We are constantly having to explain ourselves as we slip into these phrases that make sense to us and no sense to her. Why would you dive into your food after all? It's a good question. We have started reading Amelia Bedelia and have to stop frequently to explain the phrases that confuse Amelia because they confuse Turtle too. But she pays attention. Each night, she remembers exactly where we left off and is eager to hear what comes next.

What uncomfortable conversations do you have with your child? What fun pronunciations and turns of phrase do you hear each day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then Something Wonderful Happened

I don't have a title except a weakness maybe

Raising a Girl