The Terrible Twos

Being the incredibly wise parents that we are, we decided to take the girls on a mini-road trip this weekend. We went to Crested Butte. It's a 4 hour drive without traffic and interminable with traffic. Let me preface this by saying that Prima had temper tantrums at 2, but they were generally because  she didn't get her way and they were rare. Most of the time she was over-stimulated and they were predictable.

On the drive down, we got about 35 minutes out of town and Segunda decided she needed to go potty. Since we are potty-training, husband dutifully pulled into a parking lot. Out comes the Potette. Segunda planted herself on it and delivered exactly bupkiss. Back into the car she goes only to scream for 30 solid minutes before finally falling asleep. Whew.

Throughout the weekend she had tantrum after tantrum. We've never experienced this before and at the end of the long weekend we are frankly exhausted and eager to return to work. At the 4th of July parade, Segunda wanted a cookie. A chocolate chip cookie to be exact. I bought her one and handed it to her. Her response was screaming and crying and demanding a chocolate chip cookie. You know, the one I was waving in front of her face. But no she wanted a chocolate chip cookie. I took a piece of it and shoved it in her mouth. Now she is spitting at me and screaming that she wants a chocolate chip cookie. Sigh. I've seen those silly picture/articles with pictures of toddlers crying. One picture shows a crying toddler with a balloon within arms reach and the caption says, "he's crying because he wanted the balloon and I gave it to him." I never understood those little articles until this weekend.

On the drive home today, Segunda let loose for 45 minutes. She wanted water. I gave her some. She threw it on the floor. She wanted Cheerios. Prima gave her some. She threw them on the floor. She wanted Bear. I gave it to her. She pitched it into the back of the van. 45 minutes. She finally fell asleep holding my hand which was slowly pulling my shoulder out of joint. But she was asleep and stayed that way for over 3 blissful hours.

Prima decided to add to the mix with her own set of tantrums and meltdowns including 5 between 9:00 and midnight last night. Segunda woke up mad as a hornet this morning and head-butted me in her fury. Husband and I have decided that road trips are not in the cards for us just yet. Suffice it to say, I now understand the Terrible Twos and I don't like them. Although there were flashes of greatness from the girls. This morning, they shared a chair at breakfast and Prima declared them to be friends and sisters. They are snuggled on the couch eating Cheerios and watching E.T. before an early bedtime tonight. I'm lucky to be their mom, but I'm also indisputably tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then Something Wonderful Happened

I don't have a title except a weakness maybe

Raising a Girl