Mother's Day means ...



So, Mother's Day is coming up. It snuck up on me this year. I truly thought it was next weekend. I certainly think of my own mother and wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. :-)

And then my thoughts turn to my children. They look nothing like me, yet they are my children. Segunda can't stand the stringy bit of peel that sticks to oranges but loves oranges - just like me. Prima needs alone time to gather her energy - just like me. Segunda loves broccoli - not like me at all at that age. Prima loves being physically active: running, skiing, karate, Chinese dance - not like me at all at any age.

My heart overflows with love for them often. And my patience often leaks out my ears as the rage seeps in when the whining ticks up one more notch and the shouting matches go to volume 11. But I love them so and can't picture my life without them. They make me happy beyond measure.

But there are two moms out there who are living without them. And I always spend a good part of Mother's Day and the days surrounding it thinking about them. You see, this day isn't just about me and being a mommy. This day is about them too. Without their decision, my children wouldn't be mine. These beautiful women had to make a terrible sacrifice to make me a mother.

There are moms out there who want the day to be all about them and they don't want to think about the birth mothers. I don't really blame them, but I hope they know that their children are thinking about their birth mothers and the more open we are about it, the easier it is for these beautiful, complicated children to come to us in love and talk about their birth mothers with love too. These mothers deserve to be loved and remembered all year long, and especially now. We can't know the reasons for their choice, but we can love them and treasure and love their children - the children we share. I hope my children read this someday and know how much I love their birth mothers even though we have never met. They are wonderful, special women. I know that because I know their children who are my children and they are wonderful and special. Happy Mother's Day to the birth mothers of my daughters, the nannies of Prima and the foster mama of Segunda. You helped make amazing people and you made my life whole through your sacrifice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then Something Wonderful Happened

Raising a Girl

I don't have a title except a weakness maybe