3 Months

Well, we have had Segunda for 3 months tomorrow. I keep feeling like things are happening at a snail's pace. It took forever to get her Certificate of Citizenship. We still don't know a whole lot about Hypophosphatasia (HPP). We have made no progress on adjusting her feet and stretching her achilles. She isn't talking. We still don't have her birth certificate or social security card. And on and on.

But when I stop and take stock, we have accomplished a ridiculous amount in 3 months:

Segunda voluntarily gives hugs and kisses, especially to her mama. When she is stressed, she just holds on tight to me and won't let go (not that I want her to). She let's me cuddle and rock her before bed now. She is saying "ma" and "da" which seem to mean mom and dad. She also makes the "ba" sound for book and bird. She started school. Tomorrow will start her 3rd week in casts on her hands. Her final tooth came through (split in half, but it's through). We have met with a cardiologist, endocrinologist, pediatrician, lab technicians, orthopedist, occupational therapist, dentist, and have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Whyte at Shriner's Hospital in St. Louis. We have taken all of the appropriate documentation to the Denver Juvenile courts to validate her adoption. All we need now is her birth certificate and social security card. I hope to have those by Thanksgiving.

We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she loves dogs. She loves music and has great rhythm. I learned today that she puts puzzles together with relative ease. I also learned that this is a heck of a skill for a not quite 2 year old. I had no idea. She is really fun and funny. She is showing signs of being that kid who will just punch you in the face if you don't give her what she wants. Yes, we are working on that. She will be very loud even when she learns how to talk. She is a terrible traveler. She hates to be confined so airplanes and carseats are not her friend. If you give her a toy to distract her on said airplane, she will simply throw it. Sorry passenger in seat 9D. Long car rides are not very fun unless you are super human at tuning out a screaming child.

On the research side, I have found excellent step stools for potty training for my little girl with short stature. I have found different step stools to allow her to reach her sink. I have found books to help her feel good about who she is no matter what others might say or do. I'm in the process of learning what foods to feed her that are low in calcium and phosphorous but still healthy. I have met some amazing people through this journey: people who have, or are parenting a child with, HPP; and some wonderfully welcoming people in the Little People community. Broadening my network has opened my eyes to things I never gave a thought to before my beautiful, loud, independent, loving little girl came into my life.

These three months have flown right by. I hope I remember them. I hope she continues to bond and attach. I hope we can find the right balance of everything she needs so that she can grow up healthy and strong in spite of HPP. I hope I keep my priorities in the right place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then Something Wonderful Happened

I don't have a title except a weakness maybe

Raising a Girl