Thanksgiving for the first time

Thanksgiving … in my family it has always included the entire family. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents … I have always looked forward to Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite holidays. My grandparents on my mom's side hosted it when I was growing up. The table was always heaped with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, homemade biscuits, creamed corn, and pumpkin pie and lots and lots of laughter. My Uncle had some very funny stories and a  contagious laugh. My grandmother once told a story about her sister who always managed to go the bathroom when it was time to do the dishes. My grandfather was quiet, but every so often he would bring out some great one liner that brought the house down.

When I was a little girl, I asked my grandmother if I could have pumpkin pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. When you're little, you'll dare anything. You could have heard a pin drop. My grandmother's answer was a resounding yes. My mother, uncle and aunt were shocked. Every year since then, my grandmother and I enjoyed pumpkin pie for breakfast. It was our special tradition.

After my grandparents stopped hosting Thanksgiving, my parent hosted. At one point we had almost 40 people at  Thanksgiving dinner. We always take in people who have no family in the area. It was getting out of hand for one family to host it all, even though it was a bit of a potluck and everybody contributed. By the time my parents were ready to visit, everybody was going home. This year, they decided not to do it. My brothers were all doing their own thing. I invited my parents over for Thanksgiving and for the first time, I did it all (except dessert).

It came together and it tasted good. I'm in my 40's, so it isn't really all that shocking that I can pull together Thanksgiving dinner, but it didn't have mashed potatoes, green bean casserole or sweet potatoes. Typically, I fill my plate with mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casserole and the token piece of turkey. I didn't even miss it. We had roasted turkey with roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots, fennel, and onions), parsnips and carrots cooked in orange juice, stuffing made with apples, soup and salad. My husband made two different kinds of cranberry sauce - both very good. We still came away from the table stuffed to the gills.

Turtle ate about 3 bites of turkey and proclaimed herself ready for dessert. M & M's out of her Halloween candy bag and she was ready for a nap. She put herself down for one and slept for at least an hour.  She got up in time for pumpkin pie.

It was a relaxing Thanksgiving, even with the mountain of dishes that are already done and put away. It was nice to just sit and chit chat with my parents without 20+ other people all competing for conversation including several small children (Turtle included) shrieking and running around. The noise level can be deafening with that many people in the house. Although, I will say, I wish my grandmother had come today. I did miss pumpkin pie with her. Maybe next year, she can join us. But this year, I'm thankful for a quiet day where I got to cook (never thought I would be thankful for getting to cook), and my parents could just come and hang out.

Turtle has decided that since Thanksgiving is now over (according to her), that Christmas is tomorrow. To be young.

I hope your Thanksgiving celebration was exactly as you wanted it to be: a table full of delicious food, traditions old and new, and people you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then Something Wonderful Happened

I don't have a title except a weakness maybe

I Was Not Prepared For This